Survey Reveals 69% are Motivated More By Non-Monetary Factors.
REDWOOD CITY, Calif., Aug. 6, 2015 /PRNewswire/ — Less than one-third (31.5%) of U.S. workers were engaged in their jobs in 2014,according to a 2015 Gallup poll. Today Badgeville, the global leader in business gamification, released the results of an independent survey of over 500 business workers, ranging from entry-level employees to C-level executives, to prove the mass-adoption and success of gamification across U.S. organizations. The results were staggering—78% of workers are utilizing games-based motivation at work and nearly all (91%) say these systems improve their work experience by increasing engagement, awareness and productivity.
Game-based motivation—including competitions, goal-setting, performance rewards, success statistics and status recognition—is improving the work experience for nearly all employees who use it and 95% say they enjoy using it. Gamification increases productivity levels for 90% of workers and increases awareness of co-workers’ goals and tasks for 86%. The top benefits of gamification, according to survey respondents, are an increased desire to be at work and engaged (30%), inspiration to be more productive at their job (27%) or the focus to stay on task and avoid distraction (20%).
“C-level executives and managers at high-performance companies are realizing that the challenge to drive employee engagement and motivation is increasing year after year,” said Jon Shalowitz, CEO of Badgeville. “Employees, especially across younger generations, become disengaged easily, causing low productivity and retention levels. Our research shows that game-based motivation can be a powerful solution for today’s top workforce challenges.”
In addition to increasing productivity and engagement for employees at work, game-based motivation has proven successful at motivating employees. The survey revealed that only 31% of employees are most motivated by monetary awards or increased salary. The other 69% of employees are motivated more by performing well, feeling personal job satisfaction, receiving recognition on the job, gaining the support of their colleagues and having advanced learning opportunities.
“Organizations who want to retain top talent while keeping employees working hard should look beyond salary and monetary bonuses,” said Shalowitz. “It’s a wise long-term investment to create an environment where employees can manage, visualize and digitally share their performance, achievements and skills.”
Not surprisingly, younger generations have greater expectations for their workplaces to utilize gamification as a motivational solution. In fact, nearly three-fourths of survey respondents aged 22-35 years say gamification should be expected in a modern organization, whereas a little over half of respondents aged 36-55 years share the same outlook. Yet across all generations, 72% believe that putting gamification solutions in place would inspire them to work harder.
The survey of 530 workers was commissioned by Badgeville in July of 2015. Survey participants were a mix of managers (60%), mid-level employees (20%), executives (16%) and entry-level employees (4%). For more information on the survey results, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Badgeville is the leading business gamification company with hundreds of global brand customers. With its unique combination of in-app gamification, SaaS platform and big data analytics, Badgeville is building the future of work. The company was founded in 2010 and is headquartered in Silicon Valley. To learn more, follow @Badgeville or visit www.badgeville.com.