Gamification of Enterprise
Gamification of Enterprise allows employees, partners and customers to interact with business applications, processes and systems of an organization in an more fun and engaging manner.
Research by MarketTools revealed that 39% of US employees are unhappy, and Gallop found the overall annual cost of unmotivated or disengaged workers in the United States is $300 billion. Findings from the Corporate Leadership Council indicated that ensuring an engaged workforce can reduce staff turnover by up to 87%, and Idea Connect found that there was a 44% boost to employee performance in companies that have a recognition program in place. Enterprise gamification can drive employee motivation to align their behavior with organizational strategies, tasks and disciplinary plans thereby resulting in better acceptance of management plans along with increased productivity and low attrition. These solutions provide businesses with several advantages including increased transparency, better communication of business ideas and information, quicker adoption and alignment of management interests with user motives and quicker ROI at the core of the process.
There are certain challenges with using gamification in a work environment. With consumer gamification, consumers have a choice to visit and interact with a gamified platform, while employees and partners must use it. In such an environment, other restrictions may apply, like labor laws, data privacy, equal opportunity, etc. It must also be taken into consideration that while fun is an important aspect of enterprise gamification, tracking user achievements will potentially lead to disruption in organizations. The aggregated data on the performance of each player will make promotions, bonuses and layoffs more transparent and fair.  Ensuring consistent participation is another challenge.
Depending on the gamification design, one or more of the following can be done.
- Add points to tasks that need to be completed.
- Define badges/rewards to be given out after a criteria is met.
- Create a Leaderboard to show top performers.
- Define levels to repeat tasks or to perform harder tasks.
- Completion of challenges can be tied to unlocking higher levels.
Gamification can elevate employee status and reputation by rewarding badges that appear on their profile and showcase their expertise. Rewarding employees for their activities in real time gives them motivation to do more work. A recent Wharton study stated that sales teams enjoyed a 2X lift in engagement based on these engagement techniques.
While the current dominance of gamification is in the areas of entertainment, marketing and branding, enterprise gamification is seen in the following major areas of an organization:
Businesses struggle to drive initial adoption of enterprise tools. In fact, Forrester finds that only 88% percent of employees don't use social tools to do their jobs. Enterprise software can dramatically improve productivity, alignment, and innovation. The challenge lies in motivating contributions and giving employees a reason for coming back. Increasing engagement on enterprise can also improve customer and community collaboration. Many companies such as Oracle, Microsoft, IBM, Salesforce, and Adobe are gamifying their enterprises applications in order to increase adoption and engagement. A study has shown that the removal of gamification in an enterprise had a significant negative impact on the user activity of the site.
Jive, an enterprise social network, connects employees with relevant updates, colleagues, and enterprise systems across a company. EMC used Badgeville for Jive as solution for engagement and adoption. After gamifying their enterprise, they saw more collaboration between employees and a 21% increase in overall user activity.
Work training and education to keep employees competitive is crucial. Gamifying training courses have shown to be more effective and have employees memorize more knowledge from gamified training sessions than from traditional training approaches.
For example, Deloitte was struggling to get employees to log into their Leadership Academy, where employees take courses and further their corporate training. After implementing gamification, employees completed courses 50% faster than before, and daily return rates were 47% higher. Users even commented that the Leadership Academy Experience has become "addictive,” inspiring friendly competition between peers and encouraging employees to complete their training quickly and efficiently.
- Gamification Market [(Consumer Gamification, Enterprise Gamification) by Deployment (On-Premise, On-Demand). (n.d). (Jun 11, 2013), p. n/a
- The Gamification of job seeking:http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/11/11/game-on-job-seekers/
- Study Says Playing Videos Games Can Help You Do Your Job Better -http://www.nytimes.com/external/venturebeat/2010/12/01/01venturebeat-study-says-playing-videos-games-can-help-you-76563.html
- Employers: Look to gaming to motivate staff -http://www.itnews.com.au/News/169862,employers-look-to-gaming-to-motivate-staff.aspx
- Wordcamp 2010: Why we turned Microsoft Office into a Game -http://www.lostgarden.com/2010/05/wordcamp-2010-why-we-turned-microsoft.html
- Productivity Games blog -http://productivitygames.blogspot.com/
- Video: Google Test Conference - Score One for Quality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hI_ah-bt0
- Score One for Quality Whitepaper -http://www.42projects.org/docs/lqg.pdf
- Forrester Report on Productivity Games -http://blogs.forrester.com/tj_keitt/10-09-24-product_managers_take_note_microsoft_using_serious_games_product_test_and_you_can_too
- Forbes Online -http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/09/microsoft-workplace-training-technology-videogames.html
- Book: Total Engagement - Using Games and Virtual Worlds to Change the Way People Work and Businesses Compete -http://www.totalengagement.org/
- Book: Changing the Game: How Video Games are Transforming the Future of Business -http://www.changingthegamebook.com/
- Management Innovation Exchange - Using Games and Play to Improve Productivity -http://www.managementexchange.com/story/communicate-hope-using-games-and-play-improve-productivity-42projects
- Can Branchout gamify career networking on facebook -http://pro.gigaom.com/2011/01/can-branchout-gamify-career-networking-on-facebook
- The Gamification of Work -http://www.managementexchange.com/blog/moonshot/gamification-work
- RedCritter Tracker, Gamified Project Management - Agile Project Management with badges, rewards, ribbons and leaderboards -http://www.redcrittertracker.com
- Gamification of Employee Engagement - Gamification in the enterprise -http://www.emee.co.in/enterprise.html